HAWC encourages family fitness, nutrition
By the Whiteman Health and Wellness Center , .
/ Published November 17, 2009
WHITEMAN AIR FORCE BASE, Mo., --
As part of the Year of the Air Force Family initiative, the Whiteman Health and Wellness Center is offering the Healthy Family Fitness and Nutrition Class at the HAWC monthly.
The two-part class is designed to help families who are juggling home, work, and other events to stay healthy and fit.
The HAWC staff highly-encourages Team Whiteman members to get involved and offers the following physical activity information and tips:
Make family time an active time
The benefits of physical activity include:
· Increases fitness levels and keeps the heart and lungs healthy.
· Builds and maintains healthy bones.
· Helps control weight to decrease the risk of many diseases.
· Boosts energy and promotes sound sleep.
· Helps you feel good about yourself and happier in general.
How much physical activity do you need?
· Adults should have at least 30 minutes of physical activity, above usual activity, most days.
· About 60 minutes a day may be needed to prevent weight gain.
· Kids need at least 60 minutes of physical activity on most, preferably every day of the week.
Make it easy and fun to be active
· Schedule activities all family members can enjoy 2-3 times a month such as family bike rides and hikes. Let children plan a physical activity like going bowling or to the skating rink.
· Play with the kids - tumble in the leaves, build a snowman, splash in a puddle, or dance to favorite music.
· Join a walking group in the neighborhood or at the local shopping mall. Recruit a partner for support and encouragement.
· Walk, skate, or cycle more, and drive less.
· Take the whole family on a tour of a local museum, zoo or historic site.
For information on the next Healthy Family Fitness and Nutrition Class, call the HAWC at (660) 687-7662.