WHITEMAN AIR FORCE BASE, Mo. --
The Internet provides people with access to a wealth of information at their finger tips, but one can't forget the good old-fashioned library resource center to help the mind flourish.
According to Dennis Wilson, 509th Force Support Squadron supervisory librarian, the vision of the Whiteman AFB Library is to inform, empower and enrich the lives of the base community through innovative and responsive services, collections and technology.
"The friendly staff here offers personalized help and is here to serve," Mr. Wilson said. "When the Internet alone won't cut it, visit your local library."
The Whiteman AFB library staff offers the following 8 reasons to visit:
1. It's free
· Eligible patrons can join the Whiteman library for free and are able to borrow books, CDs, Playaways, DVDs and music. "Using your base library provides Airman tremendous financial savings," Mr. Wilson said.
2. Children's activities
· The Whiteman Library has a children's section with more than 10,000 different media sources. "Parents can introduce their children to the library and provide them with a launch pad to develop a love for reading," Mr. Wilson said. "The value of reading is that children stay busy, entertained and improves their skills. Regular contact with print materials helps children get ready to read and raise grades for older children."
3. Computer use
· The library has 30 computers, a scanner, printers and wireless Internet, which patrons have free access to. Newcomers to Whiteman can use computers to stay updated until they receive their household goods.
4. Educational Support
· The library provides access to knowledge and information essential to accomplish the Air Force mission by supporting professional military and voluntary off-duty education programs here. The library has a collection of test preparation guides such as: CLEP, DANTES, GED, ACT, GRE, SAT, ASVAB
Depending on the subject, the library's online resources can provide students with timed and practice exams.
5. Online databases
· The Whiteman library offers access to full text journals, newspapers and other databases to meet informational, educational and recreational needs. Individuals with AF Portal access can use these resources at their desktops. "If you have homework, we have resources that may be able to help," Mr. Wilson said.
6. Study Areas
· The library has separate study areas with computer use, printers and Internet. Patrons can gather for group discussions and group projects.
7. Community Information
· Libraries are a source of news and events in an area's municipality. Patrons can check notice boards, leaflets and other events.
"Our library Web site provides a 'community' link to information regarding local school districts, medical facilities, on and off base activities that can be helpful to newcomers to Whiteman," Mr. Wilson said.
8. Learn something new
· Libraries provide mediums to gain knowledge on genre of topics. "A library card is a resource pass to every Airman and individual to grow both professionally and personally," said Mr. Wilson.
For more information about the Whiteman library and the programs offered, log on to
or call the library at (660) 687-5614.