Flag football championship: Victory depends on one play

  • Published
  • By Airman 1st Cody H. Ramirez
  • 509th Bomb Wing Public Affairs
The 509th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron's team stayed true to their title as this season's top rated defense after holding off a last minute drive by the 509th Security Forces Squadron's Charlie team, sealing a 29-28 victory. SFS could have won the game if they had met their 30-point scoring average, but their top-rated offense fell short.

The 2010 intramural flag-football championship kicked off 5:30 p.m., Nov. 18. What was on the line? Pride and bragging rights between the squadrons for the next year.

Starting the game with a 7-0 lead, the SFS quarterback threw a 50-yard pass followed by a short option play with the quarterback running into the end zone.

AMXS answered when they quickly stormed down field, tying the game with a 15-yard touchdown pass and an extra point. 

SFS missed the opportunity to take the lead with two dropped passes in the end zone.

They followed with two runs, both being stopped inside the red zone, giving AMXS the ball.

The game remained 7-7 with AMXS also missing the opportunity to score after a string of dropped passes and short runs.

Taking advantage of the AMXS weak-side of defense, SFS completed a 40-yard pass followed by a 20-yard touchdown toss and one-point conversion. They headed into halftime with a 14-7 lead.

AMXS started the second half off to a perfect start with a bullet to the corner of the end zone to tie the game at 14-14.

SFS countered with a handful of long passes, bringing the ball to the AMXS 1-yard line. They stole the lead, 22-14, with a short pass followed by a 2-point conversion.

The lead was short-lived, with AMXS marching down the field on the following drive. The AMXS quarterback took advantage of the deep coverage and sprinted down mid-field for a 20-yard gain. A short-end-zone pass brought the game within 2 points. AMXS risked a 2-point conversion to tie the game, which was successful.

On the returning drive, a 60-yard end zone toss allowed the SFS to retake the lead, but they missed the 2-point conversion. AMXS had hope since the score was 28-22, leaving them only needing a touchdown and extra point to win the game.

With three minutes left in the game, AMXS drove down the field while burning time off the clock. The quarterback ran a sweep to the end-zone marker, taking the lead. An extra point kick set the score at 29-28.

The SFS had one more shot at winning the game with less than a minute left on the clock. They failed on consecutive end zone attempts. With a last-ditch effort, they threw a "Hail Mary" pass to the end zone, which was deflected by one of the four defenders in the area.

AMXS disband their huddle after a few last words, "See you all next year! Champs on three; one ... two ... three ... CHAMPS!"