Dog park opens at Whiteman
By , 509th Bomb Wing Public Affairs
/ Published December 10, 2013
WHITEMAN AIR FORCE BASE, Mo. -- A ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new Whiteman Dog Park was held Dec. 3.
The park, which is located near the intersection of Houx Drive and Sijan Avenue, provides a place for dogs and their owners to socialize.
"We don't have a fenced-in yard here and our dogs have a lot of energy, so they needed a place to run around," said Mandy Barker, whose husband Airman 1st Class Alex Barker is assigned to the 509th Civil Engineer Squadron.
She added that her husband came up with the idea after seeing similar dog parks from their hometown in North Carolina. The successful project took effort on the part of many Whiteman organizations, including the 509th CES and Balfour Beatty Communities.
The rules of the dog park are:
- Hours are from dawn to dusk
- Please clean up immediately lean up after your dog
- Dogs must have current registration and vaccination
- Keep dogs leashed outside the fenced area
- No children under age 12 unless with an adult
- Super vise your dog at all times
- Remove dog exhibiting aggressive or overly dominant behavior immediately
- No female dogs in heat
- No puppies younger than 4 months
- Only dogs and their owners/companions allowed in this area. Any other activities are prohibited.
- No eating, drinking or smoking in the park.
- Dogs prohibited in base housing are prohibited in the dog park, including: pit bull (American Staffordshire bull terrier or English Staffordshire bull terrier), rottweiler, Doberman pinscher, chow, wolf hybrids, other dogs demonstrating dominant/aggressive behavior
- In case of an emergency, call 911.
Also, all people and dogs who enter and use the dog park enter at their own risk. Park users agree to fully comply with posted rules ad take full legal responsibility for any action of their own dogs. Using the park constitutes acceptance of the above rules.