Colonel Maxwell D. DiPietro is the Vice Commander, 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri. He is responsible for the combat readiness of the Air Force's only B-2 base, including development and employment of the B-2's combat capability as part of Air Force Global Strike Command. As the installation Vice Commander, he provides logistics support for the 442d Fighter Wing, Air Force Reserve; 131st Bomb Wing, Missouri Air National Guard; 20th Attack Squadron, Air Combat Command and the 1st Battalion, 135th Assault Helicopter Battalion, Missouri Army National Guard. Additionally, he manages flying assets in excess of $46 billion and an annual operations and maintenance budget of $147 million.
Colonel DiPietro received his commission from the United States Air Force Officer Training School in March of 2002 after graduating from Purdue University. He has held a variety of operations and staff assignments including. B-52 flight crew; Air Force Global Strike Command, National Airborne Operational Center Strike Advisor; United States Strategic Command, and squadron command. Prior to his current position the Col was the Division Chief for the International Negotiations Division in the Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate of the Joint Staff in Washington D.C.
Colonel DiPietro is an experienced pilot with over 3,000 flight hours, has a combat tour in Operation ENDURING FREEDOM and operationally has deployed from Andersen Air Force base, Guam in support of USPACOM’s Continuous Bomber Presence.
1996 Bachelor of Arts in Law and Society, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
2008 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2011 Master of Strategic Intelligence, American Military University, Va.
2012 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2016 National Defense Fellow, Georgetown University, Washington DC
2020 National War College, National Defense University, Washington DC
1. April 2002 – May 2003, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. June 2003 – April 2004, student, B-52 Formal Training Unit, 11th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
3. April 2004 – July 2007, Pilot, Aircraft Commander, 96th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
4. October 2007 – July 2009, 2d Bomb Wing Aircrew Flight Equipment Officer, B-52 Instructor Pilot, 2d Operational Support Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
5. July 2009 – January 2010, Operations Group Training Flight Commander, Instructor Pilot, 2d Operational Support Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
6. January 2010 – June 2010, Weapons Instructor Course, USAF Weapons School, Barksdale AFB, La.
7. June 2010 – September 2011, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, Weapons Officer, 96th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
8. September 2011 – June 2012, Flight Commander Weapons and Tactics, 2d Operational Support Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
9. June 2012 – Apr 2013, Assistant Director of Operations, 2d Operational Support Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
10. Apr 2013 – June 2014, Director of Operations, 20th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
11. June 2014 – June 2015, National Strike Advisor, National Airborne Operational Center, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, Neb.
12. June 2015 – March 2017, Congressional Fellowship, staff member for U.S. Senator Jon Tester, administered by Secretary of the Air Force, Legislative Liaison Office, the Pentagon, Washington DC
13. May 2017 – June 2019, Commander, 20th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
14. June 2020 – June 2022, Division Chief, International Negotiations Division in the Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate of the Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington Va.
15. June 2022 – Present, Vice Commander, 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: 3346, including 362 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38/C and B-52/H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Mar. 1, 2002
First Lieutenant Mar. 1, 2004
Captain Mar. 1, 2006
Major Jan. 1, 2012
Lieutenant Colonel Nov. 1, 2016
Colonel Mar. 1, 2021
(Current as of July 2022)