Colonel Daniel C. Diehl, is the commander of the 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri. He is responsible for the combat readiness of the Air Force's only B-2 base, including development and employment of the B-2's combat capability as part of Air Force Global Strike Command.
Colonel Diehl received his commission as a Distinguished Graduate from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1999. Following the Academy, Colonel Diehl earned his wings as the Top Flyer in his Undergraduate Pilot Training class. He then graduated as a Distinguished Graduate from both the B-1 Formal Training Unit and Weapons Instructor Course. Colonel Diehl has flown combat missions in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM. Prior to assuming his current position, Colonel Diehl was the 7th Operations Group Commander, Dyess Air Force Base, Texas.
1999 Bachelor of Science, Biology, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Masters in Business Administration, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, S.D.
2009 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence.
2012 Master of Science, Operations Analysis, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.
2013 Master of Philosophy, Military Strategy, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Joint Professional Military Education Phase II, Joint Forces Staff College, Naval Station Norfolk, Norfolk, Va.
2014 Air War College, by correspondence
2019 Senior Development Education, Air Force Fellow, RAND Project Air Force, RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, Calif.
1. October 1999 – October 2000, Student, SUPT, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. November 2000 – June 2001, Student, B-1B Initial Qual Course, Dyess AFB, Texas
3. July 2001 – October 2006, B-1B Instructor Pilot, Chief of Training, Assistant Flight Commander, Standardization and Evaluation Liaison Officer, Unit Deployment Manager, 37th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
4. November 2006 – December 2006, B-1B Instructor Pilot, 28th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
5. January 2007 – June 2007, Student, B-1B Division USAF Weapons School, Dyess AFB, Texas
6. July 2007 – June 2008, B-1B Instructor Pilot, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 28th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
7. July 2008 – April 2011, B-1B Evaluator Pilot, Assistant Director of Operations, Flight Commander, 77th Weapons Squadron, USAF Weapons School, Dyess AFB, Texas
8. May 2011 – June 2012, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. July 2012 – June 2013, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 2013 – June 2014, Policy Analysis Officer, J-5, US Southern Command Headquarters, Doral, Fla.
11. July 2014 – January 2015, Chief, Policy Branch, J-5, US Southern Command Headquarters, Doral, Fla.
12. February 2015 – June 2015, Chief, Policy Division, J-5, US Southern Command Headquarters, Doral, Fla.
13. July 2015 – February 2016, Deputy Commander, 28th Operations Group, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
14. March 2016 – February 2018, Commander, 37th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
15. March 2018 – June 2018, Deputy Commander, 28th Operations Group, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
16. July 2018 – June 2019, Air Force Fellow, RAND Project Air Force, Santa Monica, Calif.
17. July 2019 – June 2021, Commander, 7th Operations Group, Dyess AFB, Texas
18. June 2021 – Present, Commander, 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
July 2013 - June 2015, Policy Analysis Officer, Chief, Policy Branch, Chief, Policy Division, J-5, US Southern Command Headquarters, Doral, Fla., as a lieutenant colonel.
Rating: Command Pilot and Basic Parachutist
Flight Hours: more than 2,500 (including more than 600 combat)
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38A, B-1 and B-2
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Joint Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
1999 Distinguished Graduate – United States Air Force Academy
2000 Top Flyer Award – Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training
2001 Distinguished Graduate, Academic Excellence Award – B-1B Initial Qualification Course
2007 Outstanding Graduate, Academic Award, Flying Award – B-1B Division USAF Weapons School
2012 Mervin E. Gross Award – Air Force Institute of Technology
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1999
First Lieutenant June 2, 2001
Captain June 2, 2003
Major November 1, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2014
Colonel March 1, 2019
(Current as of June 2021)